The enum module is used for enumerations in Python. For the creation of enumerations, we use classes. Enums have association with names and values.
Properties of enum module:
- The enums can be displayed as string or repr.
- To check enums for types, we use type().
- To display the name of the enum member, we use the name
- Enumerations are iterable in nature. Loops are used for iterating them.
- Hashing is supported by enumerations. Enums are useful in dictionaries or sets.
Accessing of enum:
To access enum, we have two methods,
- By value: The value of the enum member is passed in this method.
- By name: The name of the enum member is passed in this method.
We can access separate value or name by using name or value keyword.
Comparisons in enum:
There are two types of comparisons supported in enumerations.
- Identity: To check these we use the keywords is and is not.
- Equality: In enum equality comparisons of “==” and “!=” types are supported.